Eglin Air Force Base, Florida The Navy's joint operations EOD school held a somber ceremony to mark the deaths of 11 graduates killed in the line of duty last year. Families of the fallen and military dignitaries were there to honor the men in the annual ceremony as their names were added to a memorial wall. The 11 deaths in 2012 bring the number of military EOD Technicians killed in duty to 298 since World War II.
The 11 men ranged from 22 to 39 years old. They came from all across the country, serving with the Army, Marines, Navy, and Air Force. The 11 included:
- Army SSG. Israel P. Nuanes
- Army SSG. Eric S. Holman
- Army SSG. Jonathan P. Schmidt
- Marine Corps SSgt. Joseph D'Augustine
- Marine Corps SSgt. Joseph H. Fankhauser
- Marine Corps Sgt. John P. Huling
- Marine Corps SSgt. Sky R. Mote
- Petty Officer Taylor J. Gallant
- Navy LT. Christopher E. Mosko
- Navy EOD1 Sean P. Carson
- Air Force SrA Bryan R. Bell
These brave young men made the ultimate sacrifice and are true American Heroes. They will be forever missed by family, friends, and the EOD/UXO community.
During the ceremony, Navy CAPT Joseph Polanin, Commander of the EDO School, said "This is very personal for me...I believe the wall inspires our students and honors the sacrifices of our community."