Man Taken into Custody for Alleged Illegal Explosives Possession

Downey, California A man was taken into custody after military explosives were found in his home forcing evacuations in the area. According to Downey police, officers were called to a residence after a report of a man armed with explosives.

Upon arrival they found multiple military-grade flares and souvenir-style grenades, which were determined to be inert.

Although the items were inert, nearby homes were evacuated, streets were shut down and the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department Bomb Squad was called in to conduct a larger search of the residence. The search turned up several pounds of propellant powders which were safely removed from the house.

The unidentified suspect was taken into custody for a mental evaluation.

WWII UXO Leads to Large-Scale Shutdowns

Goole, England A UXO found on the building site of a new housing development forced the evacuation of eight homes and the closure of portions of roadway M62, according to Humberside Police. EOD were called following the discovery of the 500-lb WWII device and confirmed it was live.

Road closure were set up on both east and westbound lanes of the M62 to allow the team to prepare for detonation of the device.

A no-fly zone above the area was also imposed. People living or staying in the wider immediate area were asked to stay indoors, and businesses within the cordoned area were closed until the bomb could be rendered safe. The find also led to the cancellation of Goole's park run which had been rescheduled following months of being placed on hold for COVID restrictions.


Scallop Fishermen Bring Ordnance Onshore

New Bedford, Massachusetts Fishermen on a scallop boat brought a suspected UXO onto shore in New Bedford, prompting a response from the state bomb squad and a Navy EOD specialist who determined that the device was an inert 57 mm armor piercing projectile. In a statement Massachusetts State Police announced that the "projectile has been secured." It was turned over to the military for proper disposal.

Canadian EOD Divers Clear WWII UXO from Sunken Vessels

Conception Bay, Canada


EOD Remove WWII Mortar from Utah Home

Cottonwood Heights, Utah EOD were called to remove a WWII mortar from a home in Cottonwood Heights. A tweet from 151st Air Refueling Wing of the Utah Air National Guard announced, "Members of the 151st Civil Engineer Squadron's EOD team assisted Cottonwood Heights Police Department to safely remove a type 89 World War II mortar from a residential house."

There is no information about how the mortar ended up in the house. The munition was taken to Camp Williams for safe disposal.

Live Grenade Disposed Of By Philippine Bomb squad

Manila, Philippines A hand grenade was found inside a pushcart outside of the office of the Philippine Star (an English-language print and digital newspaper in the Philippines). The cart owner discovered the munition and reported the find to authorities.

Manila Police District bomb disposal responded and safely detonated the hand grenade without incident. The grenade was reportedly missing its control pin, so it had to be disposed of in place.

Police have not reported any leads as to why the item was there, but suspect that it could be related to an earlier arrest in the area, in which a man was reported to be abusing his live-in partner. According to the report, the man was found to have possessed a grenade.

Man Finds Projectile And Moves It To His Car

Underwood, North Dakota A civilian called the police after finding an ordnance item which cleaning his father's house. The man told police he was unsure whether it was live but he decided to move the item to his car.


Review of Practical Military Ordnance Identification (2nd Edition)

Article by John Ismay in the NY Times:

In my experience, when it comes to technical information, there are really just two kinds of bomb technicians. There's most of us, who are content to know enough about munitions to keep us out of trouble, but who depend heavily on technical data for support when confronted by unknown ordnance. Then there are those rare technicians who love the intricate details of munitions variants and fuzes; and who can name the most obscure bits of ordnance trivia, and happily argue incessantly over details.

Practical Military Ordnance Identification, Second Edition, is a book for the rest of us. It provides a common sense, systematic method for people confronted by unknown ordnance (and without access to professional military assistance and technical publications) to help them identify what they have and how to deal with it safely.

I bought the original edition of this book, liked it and found it very useful. In this second edition, Tom Gersbeck and Daniel Evers give us even more technical details, additional information on explosives and suggestions for added safety. If you are in the public safety arena and need information to help you identify unknown munitions, you can't do better than this book.

The most obvious difference between the editions is the binding. The original used standard book binding and this new edition uses a spiral wire binding. For me, and most of the people I have asked, we all love the spiral binding. You can lay the book down open to the page you want without it constantly trying to close itself. You can fold the book in half, without risking breaking the binding and potentially losing pages. For me, the spiral binding makes this a much more functional tool. I bet you will like it too.


Army Museum Makes an Unusual UXO Discover Amid Artifacts

Fort Belvoir, Virgina The 55th Ordnance Company (EOD) has received calls from museums before, but they are usually to verify that Civil War relics such as cannonballs or WWII shells are inert and safe to display. Recently, however, Staff Sgt. Robert Torbush received a different type of "UXO" call when he was alerted by Fort Belvoir Fire and Emergency Services about an explosive threat found in the Army Museum Support Center, which works with the new Museum of the U.S. Army located on the installation.

"The call was initially reported to me as a vial of picric acid, which is a sensitive explosive that, when dried, becomes quite unstable," Torbush said. The fire department cleared the building, and Torbush entered using a bomb suit. What he found was a WWI-era amber glass jar with gauze inside, soaked in an acid which was used to treat burns at that time.

"When it sits for that long, it has a tendency to form unstable salts," Torbush said. "That made it hazardous to even open the jar, and it was determined that the best course of action was to move it to a safe area. We didn't want to load it into a vehicle, because those explosive salts can be very sensitive."


Stolen Military Ordnance Mysteriously Appears

Atlanta, Georgia A homeowner saw some debris behind one of his bushes in his back lawn. Upon investigation, the man found a green, metal box inside a pink pillowcase. When he pulled out the metal box for a closer look, he noticed the words stenciled on the box - "cartridges for weapons."

The man notified the police who responded and identified the rounds as linked 40mm rounds for a MK 19 grenade launcher. Police notified the local bomb squad as they evacuated several nearby homes in the area. The bomb squad notified the military and a team from Dobbins Air Reserve Base responded and took possession of the grenades for disposal. Apparently, no evidence was collected from the box such as fingerprints.

Using the lot numbers from the munitions, investigators determined that the armor-piercing (AP) grenades were last accounted for on an ammunition train that left Marine Corps Support Facility in Jacksonville, FL on route to Letterkenny Army Depot, Pennsylvania. The train, operated by CSX, contained 18 connex boxes of munitions each with an orange sign warning "Explosives" on its side.


More Entries

BlogCFC was created by Raymond Camden. This blog is running version 5.5.002.