Old Military UXO Removed from Backyard in NC

Cary, North Carolina Fort Liberty EOD safely removed an old military munition found at a home in Cary. According to the Cary Police Department, the ordnance battalion recovered the old grenade along with several rounds of ammunition from the backyard.

The homeowner reportedly found the UXO while landscaping. An excavator being used struck the metal object, prompting the homeowner to stop and notify authorities.

Police believe the ordnance belonged to a previous owner of the property, a retired military veteran who is now deceased.

A statement released by Cary Police issued the following reminder, "We would like to remind all residents to exercise caution if they come across any suspicious objects or devices. It is important to immediately report such findings to local authorities and not attempt to handle or move them on their own."

Japanese Grenade Found During Garage Cleanout

Mercer Island, Washington Police were called to a home in Mercer Island after a resident found a grenade-like while cleaning out his father's garage. The Bellevue Police Bomb Squad responded to inspect the device.

A social media post by the police department identified it as a Type 97 Japanese grenade from the Korean War era. It was safely removed and handed over to Joint Base Lewis-McChord EOD for further investigation.

EOD Remove Grenade from British Houseboat

Derbyshire, England Police and British Army EOD responded to Derbyshire after a military grenade was found on a 'narrowboat.' A 100-meter cordon was established as technicians worked to determine the ordnance was inert.


Scrub-a-dub-dub, Grenade Behind the Tub

Ballard, Washington A Seattle Police's bomb squad responded to a home in Ballard after a contractor found a grenade while ripping out a bathtub during a remodel. The owner of the construction company, Vadim Kharkhavyy, said he notified authorities immediately.

"My first thought was to get out of there," said Kharkavyy. He said he had just ripped the bathtub out when he saw the grenade between the studs. "I rushed out of there, took a breath, and actually went back in and recorded the situation. I zoomed in on my phone and took a closer peek, I'm like that's an actual freaking grenade."

The bomb squad determined that the ordnance was inert. Investigators at the scene told him where the grenade may have come from and how it got into the walls.


Bomb Squad Removes Military Explosives from Home of Deceased Veteran

Cobb County, Georgia A cache of military-grade explosives were found in the home of a veteran during a death investigation, according to the Cobb County Police Department. Photos posted on the department's social media page show a box full of grenades and mortars alongside hunting cartridges, unspent bullets, and shotgun shells.


Grandfather Leaves Family A Deadly Artifact

Lake County, Indiana A father is dead, and his two children were injured, when a grenade detonated in their Indiana home, according to authorities. The Lake County Sheriff's Department responded to the home following a reported explosion.

The family was reportedly looking through a grandfather's belongings when they found a hand grenade. The device detonated when someone pulled its pin, the sheriff's department said.

The father was found unresponsive and later pronounced dead. His two children, a 17-year-old boy and an 18-year-old woman, were taken to an area hospital with shrapnel wounds.

The Porter County Bomb Squad responded to secure the area and search for any other explosive devices. The Lake County Sheriff's Department's investigation is on-going.

Americans Spark Chaos at Israeli Airport with Souvenir UXO

Lod, Israel American Tourists caused quite a bomb scare at Israel's Ben Gurion airport after they declared unexploded ordnance to airport security at luggage drop off. Security officials evacuated and closed off the area.

The shell was reportedly found while visiting the Golan Heights, which Israel captured during the 1967 Six Day War. The Golan was also the site of extensive fighting during the 1973 Yom Kippur War.

According to Israel's Airports Authority, one man was hospitalized after injuring himself trying to flee over a baggage carousel. The American travelers were interrogated by airport authorities but were eventually allowed to board their flight.

Live WWI Mortar Removed from South Dakota Home

Sioux Falls, South Dakota The Ellsworth Air Force Base EOD Team was called a Sioux Falls home to dispose of what was reportedly an "active WWI mortar shell." According to 1st Lt. Joshua Sinclair of the 28th Bomb Wing at Ellsworth Air Force Base, the two-person team responded to dispose of the ordnance. It was deemed live and safely removed for disposal. There are no details on the identification of the round or how it came to be inside the home, but according to the resident it was there for several decades.

EOD Responds to Pawn Shop Appraisal

Fort Hood, Texas EOD from Fort Hood were called in to dispose of a mortar round that was brought in to the B6UP Pawn & Gun store for appraisal. The patron was unaware that the ordnance was live, according to reports.

According to the pawn shop owner, it was in a canister labelled "60 millimeter M50 mortar." Army personnel responded to remove the ordnance. It was then taken to a safe location for detonation.

Medical House Call Turns Into UXO Response

Aberdeen, South Dakota Aberdeen Police were performing a welfare check on an elderly man when they discovered 3.5 inch M28A2 anti-tank heat rocket. Apparently the man brought the munition home as a memento after serving in the Korean War.



More Entries

BlogCFC was created by Raymond Camden. This blog is running version 5.5.002.