Dangerous Donation Sparks EOD Response at a Charity Shop

Norwich, England British Army EOD was called to a charity shop after someone made an explosive donation. Volunteers sorting through items at the Priscilla Bacon Hospice warehouse near Norwich discovered a live fuze from a WWI munition. Staff were evacuated from the area and the bomb squad responded to remove the live item to a nearby field where it was counter charged for disposal.

Upon finding the suspicious item, the volunteers sent a picture to authorities. Hugo Stevenson, head of Priscilla Bacon Hospice operations and fundraising, said, "The expert came back with great haste. He sent an urgent message to the charity stating the item was a fuse section from an artillery shell, which appeared to be a live explosive and could be potentially volatile as it was over 100 years old. He said it was the fuse section of an artillery shell - the nose cone - that explodes first."


Man Arrested For Brining Hand Grenade To Airport

Free State, South Africa A 28-year-old man was arrested at Bram Fischer after a hand grenade was allegedly found in his luggage. A security officer initially discovered a metallic object after scanning the man's luggage through an x-ray. A subsequent physical search of the bag confirmed the item to be a hand grenade.

The man, who was en route to Cape Town, had dropped off his bag at the check-in counter at the airport. Police were called to the scene and they immediately evacuated the airport. The bomb disposal unit was also called to conduct a sweep of the area.


EOD Called to Hospital to Assist in 'Butt Bomb' Removal

Gloucestershire, England Members of the 11 EOD Regiment responded to a hospital in England to reports that a patient arrived with a WWII mortar shell stuck in his rear. According to reports, the man was a military enthusiast who had military collectibles and' "slipped and fell" on the 57mm shell.

In a statement from the Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a spokesperson said, "We can confirm that the police and Explosive Ordnance Disposal team attended Gloucestershire Royal Hospital. As with any incident involving munitions, the relevant safety protocols were followed to ensure that there was no risk to patients, staff or visitors at any time."

EOD confirmed that the round was inert and it was painstakingly removed. The unnamed patient was released from the hospital and is expected to make a full recovery.


Man Finds Grenade In Basement and Delivers It to Police

Sandy Springs, Georgia a homeowner cleaning out his basement found a grenade amongst other items in storage. The man drove the device to the Sandy Spring Police Department as he was concerned it could be live.

Police evacuated the building and called the local police department bomb squad who determined the item to be live. EOD from Dobbins AFB was called in to provide technical assistance with transporting and disposing of the stick grenade.

It's unclear how long the grenade was in the man's basement but he was reportedly a Vietnam Era veteran so authorities suspect that it may have been a war souvenir.

Emergency Response As Elderly Woman Throws out Mortar with Her Trash

Manchester, England An 82-year-old woman sparked an emergency evacuation after she left a WWII-era bomb out with the trash outside her home in Greater Manchester. She reportedly found the old mortar shell three weeks prior among a bag of debris in her shed.

Police, firefighters and bomb disposal experts responded to the scene after a concerned neighbor saw it while helping the bring in her trash bins after collection day. The neighbor advised her to move the piece of ordnance to her backyard garden. Luckily family members looked up the item online and alerted emergency services after realizing the potential danger.


Florida Man Arrested with Live Grenade 'Riding Shotgun' in His Truck

Flagler County, Florida Traffic was diverted and EOD called in after a traffic stop resulted in a UXO find. According to the Flagler County Sheriff's Office, Louis Branson, 65, was driving around with a live grenade in his truck.

Branson reportedly told deputies he had no idea whether the grenade, which he found in a veteran's home he cleaned out, was live or not. He was initially pulled over for an expired tag and license, deputies said.

EOD reportedly x-rayed the device and found out that it was a live grenade and not a replica. "This idiot is lucky he did not blow himself or his truck up," said Sheriff Rick Staly.

Branson was arrested, charged with driving with an expired license for more than six months and possession of drug paraphernalia and booked into the Sheriff Perry Hall Inmate Detention Facility. An investigation continues on the grenade and may result in additional charges.

EOD safely detonated the device at a nearby county facility.

German Man Dead after Lakeshore UXO Explodes

Carinthia, Austria A German man has died in an explosion after an ordnance item he found while swimming in Lake Ossiach detonated. The 59-year-old man was handling the munition the day after he brought it home from the lakeshore, according to police.

A wide area around where the accident took place has been cordoned off by police, and an investigation in coordination with explosives experts is being carried out. The type of UXO involved in the deadly explosion has not been released but experts say the lake, which is popular with swimmers, contains large quantities of ordnance dumped in its waters by the Nazi regime and British military during WWII.

Boy Finds Hand Grenade on The Beach

Sennen Beach, United Kingdom a young boy was reportedly picked up a hand grenade he found while playing at the beach. The parents notified the lifeguards who setup an exclusion around the area as the Police were called.

A Coastguard Seach and Rescue team assisted with the call as the Royal Navy EOD unit from Plymouth was called in for technical support. EOD conducted a controlled detonation of the hand grenade.


Man Taken into Custody for Alleged Illegal Explosives Possession

Downey, California A man was taken into custody after military explosives were found in his home forcing evacuations in the area. According to Downey police, officers were called to a residence after a report of a man armed with explosives.

Upon arrival they found multiple military-grade flares and souvenir-style grenades, which were determined to be inert.

Although the items were inert, nearby homes were evacuated, streets were shut down and the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department Bomb Squad was called in to conduct a larger search of the residence. The search turned up several pounds of propellant powders which were safely removed from the house.

The unidentified suspect was taken into custody for a mental evaluation.

Scallop Fishermen Bring Ordnance Onshore

New Bedford, Massachusetts Fishermen on a scallop boat brought a suspected UXO onto shore in New Bedford, prompting a response from the state bomb squad and a Navy EOD specialist who determined that the device was an inert 57 mm armor piercing projectile. In a statement Massachusetts State Police announced that the "projectile has been secured." It was turned over to the military for proper disposal.

More Entries

BlogCFC was created by Raymond Camden. This blog is running version 5.5.002.