Question  Ordnance ID Help

This image was received from a UXO News Wire Service subscriber that wished to remain anonymous. He wanted to know what specific type of bomb is shown in the picture. It was reported that the item was just under 2 meters long and its casing was marked "MFP AMF YORK 0873". If you think you know the specific type or Mark / Mod number of this item please post it as a comment to the article. Thank you.

Comments
Dan's Gravatar The ordnance item shown in the article posted on 20 January appears to be a U.S. Mk 82 500lbs Bomb.
The gentlemen observing the bomb do not seem to be too concerned about safety given the large crowd that seems to be gathered around the around the item (not a safe practice to follow especially if you are unsure of the type of munition you are dealing with).www
# Posted By Dan | 1/26/07 1:46 PM
Rebb's Gravatar There is a very strong possibility that the bomb may be a MK 83, 1,000 lb. Looking at the man in the blue
pants along side the bomb, the slight angle of his leg and knee and the top of the bomb would be just
about the right height of the bomb diameter of 14 inches. The MK 82's diameter is only 10.8 inches.
# Posted By Rebb | 4/23/07 5:12 AM
Abdulbashir's Gravatar I do agree (earlier comments by the two gents) bomb belong s to Mk 80 series, safety wise, item should not be shown in public
item has still attached shipping base plug both rear and front fuze wells, but not sure, if item has comp or pur TNT store in it.
# Posted By Abdulbashir | 7/26/07 3:56 PM
Mike Libka usafr ret's Gravatar Yes I think it is in the mk 80's series. One area on the asset appears to have blue paint on top of it. This could also mean that it is a inert
munition. Some inert munitons were used when a explosion wasn't wanted. Such as select building damage using guided munitons.
# Posted By Mike Libka usafr ret | 12/5/09 3:54 PM
tim Fortney's Gravatar The item pictured is a MK82 500lb dumb bomb manufactured in August 1973 at the York, Pennsilvania Harley Davidson Plant, operated by AMF at that time. AMF stood for American Machine and Foundry
# Posted By tim Fortney | 4/28/11 3:22 PM
Steve Schlah's Gravatar I was "surfing" for an image of the munitions that were made at the AMF plant in York, PA., when I came across this photo. A prior neighbor of ours in Santa Barbara (who then had worked for AMF at Vanderburg), had moved to York. In June 1967, I was on leave from Ft. Eustis, VA and went up to see our old neighbors.
Much to my amazement, he offered to give me a guided tour of AMFs munitions factory. I was truly awe struck by the complexity of these "one use" ordnances and the cost that must have gone into each and every one of these weapons. These were the "before shots" and 7 months later I would see the "after shots", during my tour (68) of Vietnam.
# Posted By Steve Schlah | 7/18/12 1:11 AM
art parrish's Gravatar This would be a 500 lb. bomb . I worked at amf from 1971 till they shut down the bomb line in 1975.All
we made during those years were 500lb.ers.They put the harley line in in 1973. They started up the bomb
line again in the early 80s for a few years then shut it down for good.
# Posted By art parrish | 9/29/12 5:42 PM
Steven Schlah's Gravatar Through an ex-neighbor, Robert Heiser Sr.(who had previously worked for AMF at Vandenberg AFB, installing the doors on the ICBM Silos and who had transferred to the AMF PA. facility after the Vandenberg facility had been completed in 1966), I, while serving in the US Army, at Ft. Eustis, VA., was given a tour of their "bomb factory" in York, PA. It was very 'eye opening', as I didn't have a clue as to the complexity and he amount of machining that went into their 'one use product'. I thank you, as my memory didn't remember what size the ordinance was. Steven Schlah
# Posted By Steven Schlah | 9/30/12 2:10 AM

BlogCFC was created by Raymond Camden. This blog is running version 5.5.002.